Mechanical Design Engineer
We are looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join the Quickflange™ team, based in Carnforth or Aberdeen. We welcome candidates from both locations to apply.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will provide engineering support, primarily to the Quickflange™ business unit. To perform engineering design from first principles, using Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) and Computer Aided Design (CAD) packages to engineer and then subsequently manage the manufacture and verification of Quickflange™ components.
The role reports to the Engineering Technical Authority.
The main tasks and responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- To perform engineering assessment and calculations from first principles and relevant industry standards.
- To work in accordance with and to help maintain Finite Element Analysis (FEA) procedures for Quickflange™ components.
- To create standard calculation templates for Quickflange™ components.
- To perform 3D CAD using Solidworks to create parts, assemblies and drawings.
- To liaise with internal and external suppliers to manage the manufacture of components.
- Develop procedures for and perform workshop Factory Acceptance Testing.
- Ensure that all development associated with Quickflange™ technology is reported and managed using the ICR Document Management System.
- To perform Factory Acceptance Testing of components and assemblies.
- To investigate non-conformances relating to any quality or safety issues.
- Technical support for sales in reviewing new scope of works and authorising correct supply of equipment for all locations.
- Producing procedures relating to the operation, maintenance and handling of Quickflange™ products where applicable.
- Design of new products, including; design calculations, development equipment & manufacturing drawings.
- To ensure all development work is qualified in line with the latest procedures.
- Checking of calculations, designs & manufacturing drawings.
- Project management of new product development where appropriate
- Technical support to other personnel/departments within Quickflange™.
- Provide engineering supports for other business units within the ICR group if/when required.
- Accurate records kept for all products, documentation including test reports, calculations, design basis etc.
Key skills, Experience & Attributes:
- Degree or Masters in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent discipline
- Ideally CEng or working towards such accreditation
- Previous relevant engineering experience.
- Extensive use of 3D modelling software (ideally Solidworks).
- Deep understanding of FEA (preferably ANSYS)
- Working knowledge of ASME B31.3 and ASME BPVC Section VIII div 1 and 2
- Ability to problem-solve, multi task and work to tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to build relationships with internal and external clients
- Presentation skills for internal and external clients
- Strong report writing skills
- Self starter that takes a collaborative approach and really enjoys working as part of a team
- Ability to work on own initiative and self manage own workload
- Sets high standards in quality of work and excellent attention to detail